Friday, June 19, 2009

Sweetness

I'm working 12 hours today blah! But no one is really calling in so far so i've got a lot of time on my hands. This got me thinking about some of my most memorable Braves moments. The year was 1992 and it was October. All you Braves fans probably no exactly what I'm talking about by now. I was just an 8 year old kid and as usually was watching the game with my Dad. Looking back I think this may have been when I started biting my fingernails. Now any of you who saw the game will probably not blame me for doing so. It's kind of like that summer you got addicted to slurpees. Only imagine how addicted you would be if it had been the hottest summer ever. Now back to the game. It was game 7 and everything was on the line. The Braves wanted to beat the Pirates for the 2nd straight year, but Doug Drabek (yeah I know Doug is a very cool name) was not about to let that happen. The Pirates were up 3-0 going into the 9th and the Braves had already come up empty earlier in the 6th when they had the bases loaded with nobody out. After Ron Gants fly ball came about 2 feet from winning the game, the score was 3-1. Another walk, and a pop-up left the bases loaded again but with 2 outs this time. No sacrifice flies would do. My finger nails were barely visible now. Then Fransisco Cabrera stepped to the plate with the score 3-2. No one had even heard of him before, but they would definitely know him after. I have the "Braves win it all" video practically memorized. "It was 3-0 when the inning began but it was 3-2 when the fireworks began." Cabrera took a 2-1 pitch into left field and that is probably what got me hooked. Everything was in slow motion after that. Maybe it was because Bream was so slow or maybe it was just the greatness of the moment. Bream rounded 3rd just as pre-Barroid Bonds let go of the throw. When Bream Slid into home there was only dirt, chalk and silence. It seamed like the whole world just stopped to wait for the call. SAFE!! BRAVES WIN!! BRAVES WIN!!! BRAVES WIN!!! BRAVES WIN!!! My dad lifted me up and started jumping up and down as Braves fans everywhere lost control. Bream laid on the ground as his teamates suffocated him in a dog-pile. "I don't know how long I was under the pile," said Bream. "How long can you hold your breath?"

The answer: As long as it takes Bream and his bum knees to get from second to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment